Full Life Reflections

Striving for happiness, peace, and fulfillment in a chaotic world

NOTE: This post was originally published on my previous blog, Recovering Shopaholic.

I planned on having my next post be an update on how I’m doing with my theme of the year, deliberate, but that will have to wait until next week.  Tonight I want to share something really beautiful with you.   This afternoon, I decided to go to the beach at sunset time to take some photos.  I knew I would enjoy seeing the ocean, the sky, and the pier, but I wasn’t prepared for how truly breathtaking the views would be!   Since I was so in awe of what my eyes beheld, I wanted to share it with all of you.

I went to a place that I featured in my last “photography interlude,” the Ocean Beach Pier.  This pier is about a fifteen minute drive from where I live and is the second longest pier on the west coast at 1971 feet. It’s such a long pier that it’s difficult to capture all of it in a photograph unless you’re either fairly far away or viewing it pretty much straight on.   Near the Ocean Beach Pier is a great place to watch the sunset.  I actually stayed for over an hour and continued to enjoy the changing colors of the sky long after the sun had set.

How Photography Has Changed My Life

Photography has helped me to appreciate the world around me much more fully.   I’m learning more and more that the best things in life can’t be purchased in any store.  Although I’m still very far from having what I would term a full life, I’m happy that I have broadened my horizons such that there are other things I enjoy besides shopping.

In fact, I didn’t even shop on Black Friday or Cyber Monday, but I did take photos several times during that time span.   I will always love clothes and shopping, but I’m pleased that I am no longer a “one trick pony.”   I’m grateful to be adding more dimension to my interests and my life experience.

A December Sunset

Below are some of my favorite photographs I took tonight of the pier, the beach, and the surrounding areas. You can even see the large Christmas tree that has been set up on the walkway next to the beach.   I hope you enjoy this little glimpse into part of my world.  Tonight reminded me that I need to venture out to the ocean more often. I’ve been trying to take short walks near where I live at sunset time each day, and the sky colors are still beautiful near the San Diego Bay.  But there’s nothing like a sunset along the Pacific Ocean.  I will never get tired of it.

Have a Great Weekend!

I hope you liked my Ocean Beach sunset photos.   If you enjoyed this post and would like to see more of my photos, check out the rest of my “photography interlude” posts or follow me on Instagram, where I periodically share my images.

20 thoughts on “Photography Interlude – Ocean Beach Sunset

1. Sarah E says:

Oh Debbie you make me want to come to the West Coast so badly! Gorgeous photos and great sentiments today!

1. Debbie Roes says:

Thank you, Sarah. I hope you do make it out here soon, as I would love to meet you!

2. Lynn says:

Debbie, you are a wonderful writer and an inspiration to your readers. You are in no way a “one trick pony.”

1. Debbie Roes says:

I really appreciate your kind words, Lynn. What you said meant a lot to me.

3. Carrie says:

Those skies are stunning!

1. Debbie Roes says:

Yes, they were, Carrie. I was speechless – and so glad I had my camera with me!

4. Tara says:

We will meet up for walks in OB next month! 🙂 Thanks for the great photos, I miss the ocean.

1. Debbie Roes says:

That would be great, Tara! Enjoy your holidays in Montreal and I look forward to seeing you back in San Diego in January.

5. Anne says:

We have had beautiful sunsets here in north central Oklahoma all week. The sky has been breathtaking every evening as I leave work. It must be something about the late fall light.

I am so happy you have found photography. Taking time to enjoy nature really connects us to what is important.

I have recently discovered “adult” coloring. I’ve got 2 coloring books of mandalas and lots of page off Pinterest. I have enjoyed amassing some nice colored pencils. I have also learned a lot about color as a result. It is very relaxing to take a page, choose the colors and sit and create. I spend a lot less time online perusing clothing websites. It has really helped satisfy my need for artistic expression and is relatively cheap, much like photography.

1. Debbie Roes says:

Maybe fall is a really good time for sunsets, Anne. I saw a really amazing one during my late September trip to Lake Tahoe, too. Photography has been a wonderful thing for me, as it has reconnected me to the beauty surrounding me. When I want to get out of the house now, I take photos instead of shop!

I have been reading a lot about adult coloring and am intrigued. I can see how it would be very relaxing. I may have to give it a try. Who knows? It could become my next hobby… So glad you’re enjoying it!

6. Tonya says:

Those are all beautiful. I’m glad that you found a hobby that you enjoy so much.

1. Debbie Roes says:

Thanks, Tonya! It’s really made a big difference for me. I never would have thought so, but I’m very happy to be doing it now.

7. Amy says:

Thanks for sharing your pictures of your lovely beach. You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place.

1. Debbie Roes says:

Yes, I certainly am, Amy. Glad you liked my photos!

8. Karin says:

Truly stunning, thanks for sharing the beauty!

1. Debbie Roes says:

You’re welcome, Karin! I’m glad you and other readers liked these photos.

9. Suzanne says:

A beautiful, peaceful interlude indeed! Wonderful photography Debbie – thanks for sharing!

1. Debbie Roes says:

Thank you so much, Suzanne! I’m happy to share some of my peaceful interludes with all of you.

10. Alice says:

Beautiful photographs! Plus, you sound as if you truly enjoyed taking them, and that photography has improved your life.
    Alice

1. Debbie Roes says:

Yes, it really has improved my life, Alice. I never expected to love it as much as I do, but it was a pleasant surprise. I definitely appreciate nature and my surroundings a lot more now.